Sunday, August 8, 2010

Workshop #2, Painting #1

Portrait Study by Yours Truly

I started my second Mr. Todorovitch painting workshop last night, and produced the above. I'm getting a bit tired of being perpetually dissatisfied with my work. The good thing is that I realized I actually am getting better. If I had produced the above portrait a year ago, for example, I'd be giving myself an almost crippling pat on the back (which is hard to do, with your own hand). But my standards always rise higher than my skills.

So... it would be really nice to just be happy with what I do, but the upshot is that I know I will continue getting better until I'm on my deathbed. Even then, I will probably be drawing my deathbed sheets and periodically setting down my pencil so I can shake my fist in frustration and curse the heavens in my little old lady voice, "Yes, I am finally as good as Bouguereau! But why can I not be BETTER than Bouguereau?!"

4 comments:

  1. Hehe I like to picture you as an old lady shaking your fist at the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly right! Excellent portrait. It a good sign that you will always alway higher expectations that your abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right you are getting better...like the drawing too.
    With regards to Bouguereau a successful action for generations of artists and one of the things that was somewhat killed by the modern art movement, and Psych inteference was copying old masters. Many of the great painters inc. WB spent years copying the great painters who came before them studying every aspect of their work.
    I copied a simple Matisse line drawing once and was suprised how much I came to know as a result.
    As a suggestion you could take one of your favorite WB paintings and copy the hell out of it. Do a grid line drawing, simple watercolor, paint small sections like a toe or portion of sky over say over the next couple of years until you have a total duplication of that work.
    Your knowingness will go out the roof and your skills will improve if you fully duplicate the work.
    Under the old system artists could gradiently improve their technique during their apprentice period (which took years) and they never had to worry about being good enough as they were always winning.
    Rodin worked in the studios of other artists doing bits and pieces and didn't do his first full sculpture til he was 40.
    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys!

    Yes, I completely agree on doing a duplication of the work. At Mission: Renaissance that was a big part of the program, and you do learn SO much! It's on the list! :) Thanks so much for your input. :)

    ReplyDelete