Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Inspiration from switching mediums

I broke out my watercolor box the other day for maybe the second time in several years. Watercolor is what I started with and what got me excited about painting. When I started painting in oil I dropped it completely, and have only done a couple of watercolors sketches in the last many years.

It's been long enough that all my tubes of watercolor dried out! At least I was able to cut them open and salvage most of the contents.



I've discovered switching it up and working in something besides oil gives me a much needed change of perspective. I always seem to realize a different way of approaching things with my paintings when I do a charcoal drawing, pastel, and now watercolor. I love the freshness and immediacy of it--something I'm going try to work into my paintings more.

A little watercolor sketch I did today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment