Thursday, November 10, 2011

Studio Lighting for Poor People Who Aren't Allowed to Screw Anything Into the Ceiling.

With the time change this week, I realized that by 4 pm it was too dark to paint in my studio! It usually takes me until about noon to really get in the painting groove, so I was finally forced to make a trip to Home Depot last night and find a solution to my problem. Hurrah! All it took was a couple daylight bulbs, and a $20 shoplight. This was good, because I have chosen to keep painting instead of getting a "real" job, despite the fact that I may need to start eating Saltines for breakfast. 

When my husband came home from work, he said that our living room looked like a meth lab. "Except for all the paintings," he said helpfully.

Useful information: I found that by using a combination of "daylight" bulbs (blue light), and "soft white" (more yellow light), I could actually see the colors of my paint accurately. This is good, unless you are a fan of alarming realizations first thing in the morning. For example, that the gray sidewalk you thought you were painting last night is actually green. (This is a true story, from my more inexperienced days. [Yesterday.])

Bonus tip: It is also helpful to find a floor lamp across the street that your neighbor is throwing away.


No comments:

Post a Comment