Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Zorn Palette

Last night was my first stab at using the Zorn Palette. This is a set of colors named after Swedish painter, Anders Zorn.... because that's what he used. It consists of ivory black, white, yellow ochre*, and some kind of obnoxiously bright red (vermillion, or in my case, cadmium red light).


* This is yellow ochre, for the color-impaired.


Anders Zorn Self Portrait

The range of colors you can get with the Zorn palette is pretty amazing, though the study I did (below) doesn't fully demonstrate that. I hadn't used a limited palette in way too long, it was so fun. There is definitely freedom in simplicity. I may have another go with it on Saturday at the five hour class.


3 hour figure study with the Zorn Palette

2 comments:

  1. Wow, where is the ochre used? I can guess...the center piece of the tie? Some of the flesh (if the palette is REALLY limited)...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, definitely in the skin. The tie was probably ochre and black, it makes a kind of green. And probably the coat, too. :)

    ReplyDelete